Here is a small and by no means inclusive directory of Burien if you are looking for sustainble bussinesses in the area! Please remember that Burien has all the big names- Fred Meyer, Safeway, Chevrolet, etc. THese are just a few businesses that go above and beyond the norm.
Mini Directory of sustainable Burien
Australian Pie Company
- Delicious home made aussie meat pies. They donít mill their own flour but they make everything on site. Try a sausage roll and a cup of coffee- heaven. Packaging- they pack your meat pies in white sandwich bags- totally compostable! The larger pies may come in standard pie tins, but those are reusable. A+
425 SW 152nd, Burien
Elliot bay Brewing Company
- All their burgers are organic Black Angus beef raised on Vashon Island. Spent grain from the brewing process is used to make their burger buns.They serve Tony's organic Fair Trade coffee. And beer. They make their own beer!
And you can take the beer home in a handy glass jug that holds about a half a gallon.
255 SW 152nd
EB Foote Winery
- The winery is open for free wine tasting on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7 pm to 9 pm, on Fridays and Saturdays from 10 am to 4 pm. Both white and red wines may be available for tasting and purchase in the winery gift shop. These award-winning wines may include Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Zinfandel, red blends, and Sweet Sherrill, which is a Riesling equivalent.
127-B SW 153rd Street,
The Danish Bakery
- specializes in carefully baked Scandinavian products including Danish pastry, pumpernickel, take and bake pizza dough and various other breads, cookies, and decorated cakes. We serve coffee, espresso drinks, and cold beverages in our small cafe. They also have a fine assortment of hard to find imported Scandinavian goods such as imported jams, cheeses, chocolates, lefse, etc. Donít mill their own flour but everything baked is made on site. Except the lefse- but it is produced locally.
825 SW 152nd
Grassroots Home and Garden
- Grassroots is the biggest small nursery in Seattle. Really great little nursery tucked in between the other businesses in Olde Burien.
913 SW 152nd
- Beans, Bosch Mixers, Bulk Foods, Cosmetics, Dried Fruits, Dried Fruits, Dry Milk, Food Dehydrators, Grain Mills, Juice Extractions. Pretty neat little store!
13629 1st Ave S
KIRKS FEED AND SEED
- Old fashioned feed store, still sells chicks in the store. Also sells Dog food, and most farm animal food!
908 SW 152nd
- Serving the greater Burien area with quality Bikes, Bike repairs and accessories since 1948
804 SW 151st St
THE NATURAL PET PANTRY
: Sells natural raw and cooked pet foods.
830 SW 152nd
MUD BAY GRAINERY
: sells natural pet foods and pet supplies
148 SW 148th
Burien Farmerís Market
- May through October, this year locates at SW 152nd and 10th ave SW The Burien Farmer's Market is for farmers, growers or producers from Western Washington who sell their own produce in person, direct to the public. All products sold are grown, reared, caught, brewed, pickled, baked, smoked or processed by the Vendor.
THRIFT(SECOND HAND) AND CONSIGNMENT STORES
Excellent choices for vintage clothing, Or for household goods with a soft touch on packaging!
, 1031 Sw 128th St
St. Vincent De Paul
, 13445 1st Ave S
, 131 SW 157th St
Consignment shop; maternity and baby items, 2038 S.W. 152nd St. S.W.,
Salvation Army 16033 1st Ave S
COMMUNITY ACTIVISM GROUPS
- Local group whose efforts are to promote sustainable lifestyle in The Burien area, is a member of Sustainable Communities ALL over Puget Sound (SCALLOPS)